Many small business owners, especially in caring professions, are often scared of SEO (i.e., search engine optimization). Maybe you’ve heard it’s something you should do, but you’re not really sure what it means. It also sounds very technical. However, you can be very successful with SEO even if you don’t know how to code. In this post, learn four ways to improve your Google ranking without coding or difficult tech skills.
What is SEO?
SEO, or search engine optimization, means using a series of steps and tools to create a website that search engines (e.g., Google, Yahoo, Bing) want to show people. Search engines want to show people the best possible answer to their questions. That keeps people interested in using that search engine again.
By using SEO, you can improve your website’s google ranking. This means it gets closer to being on the first page of search results. The higher your Google website ranking, the more organic traffic your site is likely to get.
What helps improve your Google ranking?
Improving Google ranking isn’t just about using every SEO tip to optimize your website. It’s also not enough to just send paid or organic traffic to your website without optimizing your site for search engines. SEO is now about optimizing your website AND creating a strong online presence in the rest of the internet. Without doing both parts, your Google ranking will suffer.
Think of SEO as a conversation between the internet and your website. You want to make it as easy as possible for that conversation to happen. The easier it is for search engines and visitors to find you online, the easier it will be for you to rank higher in search engine results. That means people are more likely to find your site and learn about you and your business.
Why is improving your Google ranking important?
When people are searching for information or services, they want the answer quickly. 75% of people will not look past the first page of search results. For every page after the first page, you lost 30% of people looking for your services. Most people don’t look past page 3 of search results.
People also assume that whoever shows up on the first page of a search engine result is probably the best. A higher search engine ranking gives you more credibility as an expert. People view a high Google ranking as a reference. Successful experts and specialists tend to show up high in search results.
Improve your Google ranking with these 4 steps.
While search engine optimization can be very complicated, building a strong SEO foundation will help protect your website’s success. Improving your SEO and making your website optimized for search engines is the result of small, steady, consistent steps that make you stand out from your competition.
Here are four steps that non-techy small business owners can take to improve Google search results for their website.
1. Make sure your website is secure.
Having a secure site shows Google and visitors that you are doing everything possible to protect them from hackers. People want to know that their personal information is protected. They also want to know you’re preventing viruses from damaging their computer.
Look to the left of the URL (the website’s name). If you see a small, closed padlock or the word “Secure,” the site is safe. If you see an open padlock or a triangle with an exclamation mark in it, this means the site isn’t secure. As a result, your personal information and whatever device you’re on are at risk.
The easiest way to make your site secure is to make sure you have an SSL certificate.
This isn’t an actual certificate. It’s a bunch of data that protects the signal going from your site to your visitor’s device and from their device to your site.
You can usually get an SSL certificate from the company that hosts your website or the company that manages you your domain name (e.g., GoDaddy).
If your site isn’t secure, people are more likely to leave quickly. They’re also less likely to give you personal information or buy anything. Both of these actions lower your SEO and search engine ranking.
2. Build authority.
When you need information, you want it to come from the most knowledgeable and credible source possible. This is especially true regarding health and mental health information and services. As a result, Google wants to show people web pages andcontent created by providers who are experts in their fields.
Giving google and the public proof that you’re credible helps increase your search engine rankings and overall SEO. In order to do this, you need to create content that highlights your expertise.
Here are some steps you can take to make your website more trustworthy:
- Write blog posts for your website in which you answer questions that many people are currently looking for.
- Host a podcast or YouTube channel and post summaries on your site.
- Create infographics or guides that you can post on your website as resources for potential and current clients.
- On your About page, list your degrees, where you trained, additional credentials you have, certifications, and professional organizations you belong to.
- Whenever you use phrases like “studies show” or “this is the most effective treatment for,” link those statements to credible websites that show that information. This is like using a reference or citation when writing a paper.
3. Build credibility.
Google wants to show people the best and most relevant answer to their questions. In order to do that, Google will show the sites that are themost credible and trustworthy. It’s the same reason you prefer to recommend a product that gets 5 star reviews instead of 2 star reviews.
Additionally, Google forms an opinion about you and your brand. Google is constantly looking for evidence that your brand is legitimate and that you’re an expert in your area. This evidence needs to come from your website (i.e., on page SEO) as well as online activities that link back to your site (i.e., off page SEO). Each one of these links is like a reference or vote of confidence. It makes you look more legitimate and credible to Google and the public.
A few ways to build credibility online include:
- Guest blogging.
- Being a guest on a podcast, YouTube Video, television or radio show, or Facebook live. Make sure you ask the host to link the episode back to your website.
- Presenting in online and offline events such as webinars, summits, or continuing education classes.
4. Build a social media presence.
Being on social media gives people more ways to learn about you and interact with you and your content. You don’t have to be on every social media platform to do well. You also don’t need a huge following.
Social media helps improve SEO for three main reasons:
- It’s a way to drive people to your website. This allows you to create a clear path to your website about upcoming events or new products and services. As a result, people can more easily share your content, register for an event, or contact you.
- “Social Signals” are a ranking factor: Search engines look at whether people areinteracting with your content. Google assumes that the more positive interactions and engagement you have with your audience, the more relevant you must be.
- Social media is another way to show people that you’re an expert who can help them: When potential clients or referral sources want to learn more about you, they look beyond your website. Social media is the next place most people look. Think of it as an online brochure or business card.
All three of these reasons help build visibility, credibility, and trust.
Next steps for how improve your Google ranking
SEO isn’t just about keywords and posting lots of so-so blog posts anymore. In order for Google and other search engines to see you as credible and worth showing, you need to earn it. This means creating a credible website, being visible online and offline, and improving your Google ranking to climb higher in search results.
Google and the public want to know that you are the best answer to the problem. There are many non-techy steps you can take to show them that you are. These steps will help you improve your Google and search engine ranking, stand apart from the competition, and get the online attention you deserve.
Ready to build your online reputation, boost your SEO, and grow your business?
Contact me now so that we can help you and your business thrive!